Gurnard, Isle of Wight
Gurnard is a village and civil parish on the Isle of Wight, two
miles to the west of Cowes. Gurnard sits on the edge of Gurnard Bay, enjoyed by the Gurnard Sailing
Gurnard's main street features a pub (Portland Inn), a few
shops and a few houses. The west end of the beach is Gurnard Marsh and a stream called "The Luck" which discharges
into the Solent.
A fortification known as Gurnard Fort was built on a headland
west of Gurnard Marsh about 1600. The land was eroded, however, and all traces disappeared until an archaeological
excavation of a Roman villa in 1864 uncovered traces of Gurnard Fort as well.